1. Offer a free booklet or report. Readers loves freebies, and editors love to offer them.
2. Set up a hot-line for people to call for information or advice.
3. Stage a special or timely event or gimmick.
4. Introduce a new product or service. Many magazines have special sections featuring new products and services.
5. Offer new literature. Many trade journals have sections featuring new sales literature.
6. Tie in with a current trend, fad, or news issue and piggyback on that coverage.
7. Sound a call to action. Ask people to participate in a boycott, for example.
8. Develop relationships by simply calling up the appropriate editors at the publication where you want publicity and pitch them your ideas. Make sure the ideas for geared towards their readers and are not simply a sales pitch. If you do get press, send a thank you note and keep them in mind for future stories. If you do not get published, offer another story next month and do this consistently until you are published. Good luck!
Joshua Gair – Impact Entertainment Services